Olympic Center

The Olympic Center contains four ice surfaces including the 1980 Rink-Herb Brooks Arena, the 1932 Rink-Jack Shea Arena, the Lussi Rink and the USA Rink. The rinks are used for training for competitive figure skating, hockey and short track speed skating. The 1980 Rink is best known as the home of the USA Men’s Ice Hockey “Miracle on Ice.” It seats 8,000 for ice sports and 11,000 for entertainment events. The 1980 and 1932 Olympic Arenas are among just a handful of international size (100x200 feet) rinks in the U.S. There is also the USA Rink, a full NHL-sized rink and the Lussi Rink, a practice rink that also transforms into a convention hall. Ice is available year-round for figure skating, hockey and speed skating.

The Olympic Center hosts many concerts, competitions, tournaments and ice shows year-round. A cafeteria, gym, conference rooms, dance studios, meeting halls and the Olympic Authority offices are all part of the Olympic Center. The massive building also contains the 1932 & 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympic Museum and is situated on Main Street in the center of town, impressively decorated with a skyline of flags and overlooks the outdoor Olympic Speed Skating Oval and the historic Lake Placid High School.

The Oval was the site of speed skating events for both the 1932 and 1980 Olympic Games. The Speed Skating Oval was built by the Town of North Elba for the 1932 Games. Then Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt officially opened the Games on February 4th. That afternoon, Jack Shea of Lake Placid had already won two gold medals in the sport of speed skating, becoming the first athlete to win more than one gold medal at the same Olympics. Remarkable history was made again in 1980 with Eric Heiden winning an unprecedented five gold medals – breaking five Olympic records and one World record. Today, during the winter months, the Oval is a popular site for public skating and serves as a site for local and national speed skating competitions.