Olympic Jumping Complex

The Olympic Jumping Complex features the 90-meter and 120-meter ski jumps, the 40-meter and 15-meter training hills as well as a 750,000 gallon pool freestyle aerial training facility. The site is fully equipped with a permanent snow-making system, an integrated scoring system with a display scoreboard and a permanent speed meter.

The majestic 90-meter and 120-meter towers dress the Adirondack skyline as you head into Lake Placid. The 120-meter tower (approximately 26 stories high) is complete with a glass look-out elevator where the public can ascend to the athlete start tower for a scenic vista of the High Peaks and beyond as well as access the outside start gate. Visitors approach the elevator via chairlift which rides up the steep landing hill.

The ski jumps grew and changed rapidly in the early years. The first jump, 35-meters, was built by the Lake Placid Club in 1920. In 1921, the Club hosted Lake Placid’s first national ski jumping competition. In 1923 the jump was rebuilt to become a 50-meter hill. In 1927-28, the 60-meter jump used in the 1932 Winter Games was developed. The hill was designed by winter sports enthusiast and Games Committee President Godfrey Dewey. The site has seen constant use since opening, including summer use which became regular beginning as early as the 1940’s. Ice, cut from the nearby Cascade Lakes was stored in an ice house at the top of the 40-meter hill. The ice was then crushed and shaved and used to line the hill. The icehouse tradition carried on until 1984 when the hill was modernized with a special plastic surface to simulate snow.